Revered in the legends, songs and dance of the Plains First Nations, the plains bison (Bison bison bison) represents an animal benefactor that sustained a traditional way of life. This fine silver coin captures the majesty of the bison, which stands as an enduring icon of the vast Canadian prairies.
Item Number: 151927
Composition: 99.99% pure silver
Weight (g): 31.39
Diameter (mm): 38
Face Value: $20
Artist: Doug Comeau
Packaging: Maroon clamshell with custom beauty box
- Fourth coin of 2016 in the ongoing Majestic Animal series, which celebrates Canada’s most distinctive, iconic animal species.
- A magnificent portrait of an iconic bison in the wild!
- Features selective colour and multiple finishes that enhance the finely detailed engraving, which results in an overall design that is filled with depth, dimension and texture!
- This series of coins is highly sought-after—those issued in 2015 sold out quickly!
- A majestic addition to any nature, wilderness or Canadiana-themed collection.
- Outstanding wildlife art that makes an unforgettable gift for outdoor enthusiasts and nature lovers.
The reverse design by Canadian artist Doug Comeau features a wildlife portrait of a plains bison in a natural setting. The land-grazing mammal is shown in three-quarter profile against the rolling foothills in the background, where the tall trees give a sense of the bison’s height in this open space. Rich selective colour gives the wild bovine a life-like appearance, while highly detailed engraving captures the texture of its dark-brown shaggy hair and the roundness of its distinctive shoulder hump. The bison has raised its head and gazes off beyond the image field to the right, allowing for a better view of the horns on its head and its facial features. The green, yellow and white colours of the grasses and wildflowers at its feet give a sense of the diversity of plant life in its grassland habitat, while the engraved forest and hills behind it convey the rugged beauty of Canada’s wilderness.