One is the hunter—the other, the hunted. This four-coin series explores the predator and prey relationship of the Arctic fox and the Arctic hare in Canada’s far North, where the harsher climate necessitates unique adaptations that have set these two species apart. The first coin focuses on the features of a prolific hunter, as seen in this life-like depiction of an Arctic fox.
Item Number: 149698
Composition: 99.99% pure gold
Weight (g): 0.5
Diameter (mm): 11
Face Value: 25 cents
Artist: Pierre Leduc
Packaging: Maroon clamshell with black beauty box
- Debut of a brand new series that brings predator and prey face to face! First in a gorgeous four-coin series that explores the predator and prey relationship of the Arctic fox and the Arctic hare, with each animal depicted in a traditional pose on one coin then re-interpreted in a Haida art style on another!
- Smallest gold coin! The coin’s 11-millimetre diameter is the smallest sized gold coin produced by the Royal Canadian Mint.
- Seeing is believing! The reverse boasts an astounding amount of minute detailing on such a small scale—a testament to the exquisite craftsmanship of the Royal Canadian Mint!
- Crafted from 99.99% pure gold.
- Also available part of a four-coin subscription. Case features a magnificent case complete with a built-in magnified display.
The reverse design by Canadian artist Pierre Leduc features a side-profile view of an Arctic fox (Vulpes lagopus), depicted here in the style of a traditional wildlife portrait. Meticulous engraving recreates the fox’s features with extraordinary precision on such a small canvas, giving it a life-like quality that beautifully captures the texture of its thick, winter pelt. Standing still in the wintry landscape, the fox’s small, rounded ears are alert as it quietly steadies its gaze on its prey beyond the image field.
2016 25-Cents Pure Gold Coin – Predator vs. Prey: Haida Arctic Fox
Launch date: May 3, 2016
Item number: 149753
2017 25-Cents Pure Gold Coin – Predator vs. Prey: Traditional Arctic Hare
Launch date: September 6, 2016
Item number: 151390
2017 25-Cents Pure Gold Coin – Predator vs. Prey: Haida Arctic Hare
Launch date: November 1, 2016
Item number: 152278
The four-coin subscription includes a magnificent case complete with a built-in magnified display. This stunning packaging is a beautiful way to proudly showcase your coins while offering a magnified view of the reverse of all four coins. This case is shipped with the third coin of the subscription program.