Celebrate the history and artistry of Canadian circulation coinage with this fine silver “toonie”—part of the Royal Canadian Mint’s new series featuring Canada’s six circulation coins. Each beautiful coin is composed of five ounces of fine silver and features selective colour on the reverse.
Item Number: 151551
Composition: 99.99% pure silver
Weight (g): 157.6
Diameter (mm): 65.25
Face Value: 2-Dollar
Artist: Brent Townsend
Packaging: Maroon clamshell with graphic beauty box
- This 5-ounce fine silver 2-dollar coin features Canadian artist Brent Townsend’s version of the coin’s iconic polar bear design, first issued with the introduction of the 2-dollar circulation coin in 1996. This design has been used continuously on Canadian “toonies,” with a number of notable exceptions.
- Part of the Royal Canadian Mint’s exciting 6-coin series of 5-ounce pure silver versions of Canada’s 5-cent, 10-cent, 25-cent, 50-cent, 1-dollar, and 2-dollar circulation coins.
- Selective colour on each coin’s reverse makes this series particularly lovely and exceptionally unique.
- With a very limited mintage of only 1,500 coins per issue, this series is sure to be highly sought after by collectors.
- Drawing its inspiration from minting itself, this coin makes an exquisite gift, an inspiring introduction to collecting, or an important addition for any collector interested in Canadian subjects, Canadian and international circulation coinage, or minting history.
The reverse features Brent Townsend’s image of an adult polar bear standing on an ice floe, gazing out over the early summer Arctic landscape. The central scene is fully coloured in natural shades, including the blue water and mountains, white ice floe, and the polar bear’s yellow-white coat. The reverse is also engraved with the word “CANADA” and the face value of “2 DOLLARS”. The obverse is engraved with the date “2016” and the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.