The button-like flowers of pearl yarrow (Achillea ptarmica ‘The Pearl’) are brought to life by not one, but three mother-of-pearl embellishments that adorn this 99.99% pure silver coin. Each pearl blossom is a small marvel, with carefully sculpted layers of daisy-like petals that add a timeless elegance to the exquisite portrait of a distinctive wildflower.
Item Number: 157047
Composition: 99.99% pure silver
Weight (g): 31.39
Diameter (mm): 38
Face Value: $20
Artist: Margaret Best
Packaging: Maroon clamshell and black beauty box
- An elegant FIRST for the Royal Canadian Mint! Each coin features three pearl pieces that recreate the beauty of the yarrow flowers, resulting in a timeless collectible.
- Each mother-of-pearl embellishment is uniquely shaped to recreate the appearance of the double blossoms, which complements the beautifully detailed engraving.
- Crafted from 99.99% pure silver, the reverse is the result of the careful merging of innovative technology, world-class craftsmanship and stunning artistic vision!
- In addition to its sheer beauty, the coin’s low mintage of just 6,000 makes this a sought-after piece.
- The artistic design makes this a thoughtful and sophisticated gift for a loved one, or the pearl of your growing collection!
The reverse design by Canadian artist Margaret Best pairs a technological first with highly detailed engraving. The clustered stalks, leaves and flowers of pearl yarrow rise up from the right side of the coin to fill most of the reverse. Bees and flies are key pollinators for this species, and are represented here by the two engraved bees approaching from the left; however, the eye is naturally drawn to the three floral-shaped embellishments that re-create the pom-pom type of flowers. Each one is crafted from mother-of-pearl, which lends itself beautifully to re-creating the snow-white double blooms. The pearl lustre also mimics the sun’s illuminating effect, and subtly highlights the layered complexity of the daisy-like petals that have been so carefully sculpted. The reverse also features the engraved word “CANADA” and the year “2017”, along with the face value, “20 DOLLARS”.