Prominent in the myths and legends of Canada’s First Nations, the black bear (Ursus americanus) is a powerful symbol of knowledge and might. Its reputation is that of a curious explorer, but one that is easily emboldened by hunger; with this fine silver coin, the Royal Canadian Mint proudly celebrates one of the most famous residents of Canada’s vast forests.
Composition: 99.99% pure silver
Weight (g)*: 31.39
Diameter (mm): 38
Face Value: $20
Artist: Pierre Leduc
Packaging: Maroon clamshell with custom beauty box
- FINAL coin for 2016 in the Majestic Animal series, which celebrates Canada’s most distinctive and iconic animal species.
- Multiple finishes, selective colour and detailed engraving offer a realistic depiction of a close encounter with a bold black bear in the wild.
- Crafted in 99.99% pure silver with a limited mintage worldwide.
- This series is highly sought-after by collectors, with the 2015 coins selling out quickly!
- A cherished addition to any nature-, wilderness- or Canadiana-themed collection, or a uniquely artistic gift for the nature lover or outdoor enthusiast in your life.
The reverse design by Canadian artist Pierre Leduc captures the majestic qualities of the black bear in remarkable detail against the engraved forest in the background. Standing on its four legs, the bear’s bulky body size is evident when seen in three-quarter profile as its front paws rest upon a rock in the foreground. Its head is turned to present the viewer with a front view of its carefully engraved facial features and its bold, inquisitive expression. Selective colour enhances the engraved textural details and brings to life the bear’s dark fur and lighter-coloured muzzle. In this hillside clearing near the edge of a forest, the black bear inspires awe as it stands out among the bright colours of the vegetation, logs and rocks that surround it.