Canada has seen a world of change since Confederation in 1867—and from its prominent place on Canada’s coins, the proud maple leaf has borne silent witness to it all! In preparation for Canada’s 150th anniversary, the Royal Canadian Mint pays homage to a well-loved symbol of national pride, identity and spirit, by revisiting the maple leaf’s depiction on a young nation’s first circulation coins.
Composition: 99.99% pure gold
Weight (g)*: 31.6
Diameter (mm): 30
Face Value: $200
Packaging: Maroon clamshell with black beauty box
- Kick off the celebrations for the nation’s 150th anniversary with a distinctive coin that offers a snapshot of a momentous time in Canadian history!
- A contemporary recreation of the original design that graced Canada’s first circulation coins 150 years ago.
- There’s an authentic, nostalgic feel to this coin, which features a similar layout and font as the original, Confederation-era design.
- Crafted from one ounce of certified 99.99% pure gold, with mintage limited to just 250 coins.
- An extraordinary way to celebrate Canada’s milestone anniversary, or let your passionate Canadian pride shine brightly!
- An exceptional addition to any gold-, history- or Canadiana-themed coin collection!
The reverse pays tribute to the original design that graced Canada’s early circulation coins. Bound together by a bow at the bottom of the reverse, two crossed maple boughs gently curve upwards along the coin’s perimeter. Cutting-edge sculpting and finishing techniques recreate each of the 21 maple leaves in breathtaking detail, as they lead the eye towards a current creation of the Royal Crown (St. Edward’s Crown) at the very top. The reverse’s text elements offer added authenticity to this nostalgic nod to Canada’s past, with the face value “200 DOLLARS,” the word “CANADA” and the commemorative dates “1867-2017” all engraved in a similar font and layout as the original Confederation-era coin designs