Equipped with superior peripheral and night vision, the timber wolf (Canis lupus occidentalis) surveys the wilds of western Canada with an unforgettable intensity in its gaze, which only adds to its mysterious allure. This elusive, powerful yet social species is the special focus of the fourth coin in an ongoing series, which features enamel-enhanced portraits of Canada’s wildlife.
Composition: 99.99% pure silver
Weight (g)*: 1,000
Diameter (mm): 102.1
Face Value: $250
Artist: Pierre Leduc
Packaging: Wood case with black beauty box
- Lock eyes with one of western Canada’s iconic wolf species!
- Fourth in the annual series of 99.99% pure silver 1-kilogram coins featuring selective enamel-enhanced portraits of Canada’s iconic wildlife.
- Gold-toned enamel adds a colourful intensity to the eyes as they seemingly stare directly at the viewer.
- The artistry and craftsmanship ensure a life-like feel to the image, as made evident by the remarkably textured appearance of the wolf’s thick fur.
- Previous coins in the series have sold out quickly; a low mintage of 500 coins worldwide makes this a highly sought-after collectible.
- The masterful combination of dynamic design, vibrant colour, multiple finishes and highly detailed engraving makes this a timeless addition to your wildlife-, nature- or Canadiana-themed collection.
The reverse design by Canadian artist Pierre Leduc features a detailed portrait of a timber wolf (Canis lupus occidentalis), also known as the Mackenzie Valley wolf. A close view of the wolf’s facial features dominates the reverse, where the application of gold-toned enamel immediately pulls the focus towards its unforgettable stare. The colour effect adds a glowing intensity to each iris while darkening the pupils; breaking free from this locked gaze, a study of the wolf’s other facial features shows an outstanding amount of detail. Advanced finishing and shading techniques enhance the intricate engraving and provide a breathtaking sense of depth, texture and contrast to the wolf’s ears, nose, mouth and fur.