In 1892, the Governor General of Canada, Lord Stanley, donated a silver bowl for the purpose of fostering a competitive spirit between Canada’s amateur hockey teams. From this expression of support sprung a rich legacy, as the Stanley Cup evolved into one of the most revered trophy in professional sports—and a celebrated icon in Canada. The Royal Canadian Mint is proud to commemorate the 125th anniversary of the Stanley Cup’s origins, with a one-of-a-kind shaped coin that pays tribute to hockey’s ultimate prize.
- AN OUTSTANDING RCM FIRST: Introducing the first ever Stanley Cup-shaped coin!
- Struck in a beautiful reverse proof finish, this 99.9% fine silver coin is a stunning replica of the Cup—albeit on a smaller scale.
- A one-of-a-kind way to celebrate the 125th anniversary of the Stanley Cup and its rich history.
- Low mintage of just 5,000 do not miss your shot at scoring one of these coins!
- The ultimate collectible for any hockey fan, this coin is a fantastic addition to any collection that features technological firsts or sports themes.
Item Number: 158058
Composition: 99.9% fine silver
Weight (g): 99.53
Height (mm): 58
Face Value: $50
Finish: Reverse Proof
Packaging: Rectangular black clamshell with NHL branded beauty box
Developed by the Royal Canadian Mint’s team of R&D specialists, engineers and engravers, this fine silver coin has a unique shape that is instantly recognisable to hockey fans that have ever dreamed of hoisting the Stanley Cup at centre ice.
The reverse design presents a reduced-scale replica of the illustrious hockey trophy, all in a magnificent reverse proof finish. Detailed engraving recreates the ringed appearance of the Cup’s rounded barrel base, topped by the silver bowl that replicates the one donated by the Governor General of Canada, Lord Stanley. The finer details are enhanced by the application of different finishes that alter the way light reflects off the coin’s silver surface, thus infusing the innovative design with a life-like sense of depth and dimension. The obverse is flat, and features the commemorative dates “1892-2017”, the words “THE STANLEY CUP LA COUPE STANLEY”, the engraved face value “50 DOLLARS”, and the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.