The colourfully patterned wings of a monarch butterfly are not as delicate as they appear, for the intrepid monarch is a strong flier and a migratory marvel. This 3 oz. fine silver coin is a soaring tribute to Canada’s most well known butterfly, whose multi-generational journey further cements its status as a ‘regal’ symbol of hope and transformation.
Item Number: 162629
Composition: 99.99% pure silver
Weight (g): 94.4
Diameter (mm): 55
Face Value: $50
Artist: Graham Spaull
Packaging: Maroon clamshell with black beauty box
- With its impressively sized 55 mm diameter, this 3 oz. fine silver coin is our largest butterfly-themed coin yet.
- A colour application masterfully re-creates the monarch’s distinctive colours and wing patterns, which are instantly recognized by most Canadians.
- Meticulously engraved in a beautiful proof finish that is as luminous as a bright, sunny day.
- A wondrous celebration of Canada’s natural legacy, and a gift of unparalleled beauty for the nature or gardening enthusiast in your life.
- Don’t let this opportunity fly away! Mintage is set to just 3,500 coins worldwide.
The reverse design by Canadian artist Graham Spaull aptly captures the enchanting beauty of a beloved summer resident of Canada, whose epic migration is perhaps unrivalled in the insect world. Resplendent in full colour, the monarch butterfly (Danaus plexippus) displays its orange-and-black wings as it approaches a patch of milkweeds (Asclepias). The tall, leafy stems are engraved in fine detail to represent an important part of the story: the milkweed is the monarch’s host plant. It is essential to sustaining monarch populations, since the butterfly deposits its eggs on the leaves that will exclusively sustain the larvae (caterpillar). The reverse includes the face value “50 DOLLARS” and the year “2017”. The obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.