From coast to coast, Canada boasts a remarkable biodiversity—one that includes both prey and predator. With their remarkable agility and speed, Canada’s birds of prey have earned their reputation as formidable hunters—including the red-tailed hawk, which is beautifully showcased in this striking coin.
Item Number: 161856
Composition: 99.99% pure gold
Weight (g): 156.05
Diameter (mm): 60.15
Face Value: $500
Artist: Emily Damstra
Packaging: Red lacquered case with black beauty box
- PREMIUM VERSION! This 5 oz. pure gold coin is a premium version of the silver bullion coin, struck in proof finish and rendered in exquisite detail.
- SKILLED ENGRAVING AND VARIED FINISHES! The beautiful design is given depth and texture with skilled engraving and varied finishes.
- "5 OZ" PROMINENTLY PLACED! Engraved on your coin are the words "5 OZ" designating your coin's weight.
- 99.99% PURE GOLD! Your coin is GST/HST exempt!
- ELEGANT PACKAGING: Each encapsulated coin is nestled within a Royal Canadian Mint-branded wooden case, which comes carefully packaged in a black beauty box.
- EXTREMELY LOW MINTAGE! Only 99 coins worldwide!
- IN DEMAND: Previous issues went quickly and this one is destined to sell out, too—don’t delay, order yours today!
The reverse design by Canadian artist Emily Damstra depicts a red-tailed hawk (Buteo jamaicensis) in flight, in an attack position. With its wings outstretched past the design field’s rim, this agile hunter keeps its eyes fixed on the ground. The hawk’s hooked bill is open to let out its familiar hoarse scream as it swiftly descends from high above, its legs outstretched and sharp talons at the ready in anticipation of capturing its mammalian prey. Detailed engraving allows the viewer to see the hawk’s varied plumage, from the streaked belly to the darker-coloured lines that dominate the wings and tail. The obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.