Strong, wise and hopeful, Canada embodies the ideals and aspirations of a nation that has proudly come into its own since its creation in 1867. Through the symbolic female figure featured on the reverse, this proof silver dollar presents a powerful personification of Canada—of its history, its people and its spirit. The image of Canada is the visual embodiment of a nation that is today celebrating its 150-year journey, while looking ahead to the future.
- Happy 150th anniversary, Canada! The Royal Canadian Mint pays tribute to our great nation with a breathtaking and powerful design.
- Among our best sellers every year since 1937! Each year, the proof dollar is one of the most sought-after coins issued by the Royal Canadian Mint. This coin is a continuation of a proud tradition that carries added meaning in 2017, as Canada celebrates 150 years.
- Absolutely stunning in the highest quality possible: Finished with world-class frosting, the image is struck against a brilliant field as many as three times to achieve a crisp impression with outstanding detail. Special dies are hand polished and frequently replaced to maintain absolute perfection.
- Powerfully symbolic: Your coin features a classic allegory, but is representative of Canada in today’s world. Rich in symbolism, every element of the design is representative of our story as a nation.
- Crafted in 99.99% pure silver, your coin is GST/HST exempt!
Item Number: 157486
Composition: 99.99% pure silver
Weight (g): 23.17
Diameter (mm): 36.07
Face Value: $1
Artist: Rebecca Yanovskaya
Packaging: Maroon clamshell with a standard black beauty box
The reverse design by Canadian artist Rebecca Yanovskaya features a contemporary take on a classic female allegory that personifies Canada on its 150th anniversary. Every element in this complex design represents a different political, historic, geographic and social aspect—it represents our story as a nation, all conveyed by the intricate engraving and careful use of multiple finishes.
In the foreground, Canada rises up strong, majestic and bold; she bears a youthful appearance, given Canada’s status as a relatively young nation. Canada is the picture of grace and a vision of strength in her protective armour; and yet, she carries no weapon—a symbolic nod to Canada’s historic peacekeeping role, and our efforts to bring peace throughout the world. Her brow is wreathed with a glorious garland of poppies, much as the lyrics to O Canada affirm in French. Facing out as though looking to the future, Canada’s gaze is calm and steady while her arms are open wide, ready to embrace what challenges and triumphs lie ahead. In one hand is a symbolic representation of the British North America Act, which represents the birth of the Dominion of Canada 150 years ago; in the other hand is a single feather that pays tribute to those who helped forge our nation’s path: the First Nations peoples and the Fathers of Confederation. A fur cape is a further reminder of First Nations traditions, as well as the importance of the fur trade in Canada’s early history.
Thirteen rays of light—one for each province and territory—shine down upon Canada, while the waves at her feet represent the oceans that surround us. The Canadian banners link air, land and sea while in the background, Mount Logan (Canada’s tallest peak) represents the diversity of the land, and alludes to the ability of Canadians to “rise” to the challenges we face—yesterday, today and tomorrow.
SRP$59.95Item Number157486UPC6-23932-08164-2Composition99.99% pure silverMintage30,000Weight (g)*23.17Diameter (mm)36.07Face Value$1FinishProofEdgeSerratedArtistRebecca YanovskayaPackagingMaroon clamshell with a standard black beauty boxFinished size67 mm x 67 mmMaster Pack75