Our popular Big Coin Series is back for 2018! Celebrate the history and artistry of Canadian coinage with this special series of fine silver circulation coins featuring selective rose gold plating. Includes two new designs: a unique Voyageur Dollar and an extra-special seventh coin—the Penny! The 2017 Big Coins all sold out very quickly with a mintage of 2,150. With 650 fewer sets this year, we are predicting an immediate sellout. Order early to avoid missing out on this top rated series.
Item Number: 163694
Composition: 99.99% pure silver
Weight (g): 157.6
Diameter (mm): 65.25
Face Value: $1
Artist: Emanuel Hahn
Packaging: Maroon clamshell with graphic beauty box
- Special selective rose gold plating technique allows the coin’s engraved elements to shine, adding visual interest to the iconic design.
- Part of the Royal Canadian Mint’s exciting 7-coin series of 5-ounce pure silver versions of current and historical Canadian circulation coinage.
- Exceptionally low mintage of only 1,500 coins means that this piece is sure to be sought after by collectors around the world. Previous issues of this popular series regularly sell out.
- Subscribe to the series to get a complimentary custom wood collector case that holds all seven coins. 7th and final coin in the series, the Penny, will be available through subscription only and will ship with the wood case!
- Drawing its inspiration from Canadian minting, each coin in the series makes an exquisite gift, an inspiring introduction to collecting, or an important addition for any collector interested in Canadian subjects, Canadian and international circulation coinage, or minting history.
This 99.99% pure silver 1-Dollar coin has a diameter of 65 millimetres and a metal weight of 157.6 grams. Its reverse features Emanuel Hahn’s iconic Voyageur image, present on Canadian silver dollars from 1935 to 1986. A canoe carries a European voyageur paddling at the stern and a First Nations man paddling at the bow. Between them are bundles of wrapped furs. The bundle closest to the bow is marked with the initials “HB” for Hudson’s Bay Company. In the background, two wind-swept pines rise from the centre of a smooth, semi-circular island. Stylized vertical rays representing the northern lights cross the sky. On the reverse the engraved elements, including the canoe, travellers, and pines are gold-plated. The reverse is engraved with the words “CANADA” and “DOLLAR” and the date “2018”. The obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt. Her Majesty’s portrait is gold-plated.